Monday, November 21, 2011

Thankful For.... (#4)

This is #4 in my elaboration of "I Am Thankful For".... (the others are located on my blog in order)

5.  God's Pruning
4.  Unanswered prayers
3.  Direction & Discernment
2.  Protection
1.  My Husband & Children


#4 - Unanswered Prayers -- I love that old country song that Garth Brooks use to sing entitled "Unanswered Prayers". The chorus went something like this:


(Made famous by Garth Brooks)
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers 
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean He doesn't care Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers


Are you singing along? My Daddy use to sing along to this song in his old pick up truck when I was just a kid. I remember thinking, why would anyone agree with these lyrics? To me, they seemed so depressing. Little did I know!

Now that I am a little older and wiser I can say, there have been many, many, many times I have been thankful that God chose NOT to answer my prayers. Let me share a few in particular that may help to invoke memories of your own gratitude for unanswered prayers.

  • Growing up, I prayed earnestly that God would allow me to marry my high-school sweetheart. I was in LOVE!!!!! I would have married that boy in a second, but he cheated on me and left me with a broken heart. It's probable that his behavior of "cheating" would have continued in our marriage. I thank God He didn't answer that prayer.
  • During high school I use to pray our family would relocate to Southern Maryland about an hour from my home in Baltimore.  We had a lot of family who lived there and I just loved visiting and always felt it would be a great place to call home. My parents at one time were considering moving there, but thank God  He never answered that prayer. In the end, I had wonderful and life enhancing experiences in High school.  Homecoming Court, School Spirit, I lettered in two sports, was selected for the lead in our musical productions three years in a row and elected to represent the Baltimore County Student Government at the national level both my junior and senior years. Those experiences afforded me privileges to develop my leadership skills I would have never had the opportunity to do, if we would have moved.
  • My senior year of highschool I started asking God to provide a way for me to enter into the University of Maryland Dental program. Upon graduation I learned I would have to attend a community college first before enrolling in their program.  I took that as God closing the door and instead I enrolled at Lee University. Why is this so important? For three reasons: I met some amazing people at Lee University who still remain mentors in my life. I ended up getting my degree in Business Administration which allowed me to focus my career as a software trainer for many years; eventually that experience has become a stepping stone, in more ways than one, for the ministry I am currently involved in. Most importantly while at Lee, I met the most amazing man, my husband, my soul-mate!

There are numerous other prayers I could mention that God didn't answer along the way but now looking back I can see He certainly knew what He was doing. God is so good and His plans for us are excellent, don't doubt Him friend.

If God has yet to answer your prayer it could be, He has better plans for you. 

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future!'

Blessings, Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment