Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The heart  is heavy tonight because the boy leaves again in the morning… Headed back to college starting his sophomore year seems impossible. Don't be mistaken I'm very excited for him but reality concurs, as quickly as the first year passed the second, third, and fourth years will just be a memory before long. Is it wrong for a mom to yearn for the days that held naptime and walks pulling him in the wagon with the little brown dog tagging along? Is it wrong for a Mom to miss picnics in the back yard, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, playing in the sprinklers, hide and seek, little league baseball, my baby girl needing help putting up her pony tail, painting her tiny toes and finding the match to her favorite sock? I reminisce about nights I gave them bubble baths together because it saved time and really for a Mom of toddlers it was the only way to keep them contained long enough to stare into those pairs of dark brown eyes and tell them, you are important, you matter so much, you are loved! I would remind them one day you will leave Mommy and Daddy and make your own choices, sing your own song, walk your own step. Please always remember the love of home will forever be your constant foundation to return to, to catch your breath, recoup from hard work, and be reminded of who you are and whose you are!

Her same brown eyes stare me hard tonight but now her lids are colored and lashes are long in length...and when I tell her I'm proud of her and I love her deep, she smiles, wraps her arms around me and says, "Thanks Mom, I love you too!" 

His same brown eyes stare hard at me tonight, no longer smells of baseball game and outside dirt but of polo cologne and fresh breath. When I reach for him to kiss his face all over, he reaches back, stern hugs, defined biceps engulf me and we embrace. A wink seals our love! I look up into his eyes to stare the boy back as we exchange an I love you...

Can't stop the tears when you settle down long enough to realize life is moving on...so I head to the bedroom to find solace in my husband. Searching into his brown eyes to find the strength I just don't have right now. He stares back his eyes strong and comforting...he reminds me this is life and what parenting is all about. We embrace tightly and linger awhile, a sigh of satisfaction knowing the blessing of parenting, the love of family, and the inevitable change of seasons! 


 




#lovemyfamily 



Blessings, Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment