Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Expecting Nothing In Return


A few weeks back our family spent an afternoon together in Downtown Disney in Orlando, Florida. It’s typical in most families to see the husband carrying the bags waiting patiently outside for the wife, repeatedly looking at his watch and counting the merchandise she gathers. Not my husband, he loves to shop! He takes his time browsing through the stores picking up every piece that catches his eye to sample it more closely. I on the other hand, would much rather be outside sitting on a bench-observing people. You could say, I enjoy “people watching”, if that is a correct description.

On this particular sunny day, a young boy captivated my attention. He was about fifteen years old and pushing middle aged woman in a wheel chair. It was obvious she was handicap, maybe Multiple Sclerosis, both her feet and hands curled under, she was unable to use either.  He made his way over towards the large oak trees where many of us were already seated, trying to find refuge from the scorching sun. In his hand he had an ice cream sundae and a few napkins.

I assumed the ice cream was for him, since there was only one. But my assumption was wrong.  For the next ten minutes I watched him feed this woman who obviously couldn’t feed herself. Each small scoop of ice cream he positioned just right into the handicapped woman’s mouth, being careful not drip any on her. After every bite he gently wiped her face with a napkin and from where I was sitting I could hear him ask her “Are you okay?” I alleged his concern was because she had trouble swallowing and he wanted to make sure she was ready to continue with the next bite. His pleasant gestures toward the young woman made her smile. You could tell he wasn’t there out of obligation or duty, his loving kindness towards her proved he was there willingly.

The sun was beating so hard even I was uncomfortable where I sat in the shade under the big oak tree. Sweat drops were dripping from the boy’s forehead as he continued to do his best to feed her, in the midst of hundreds of rude people bumping and pushing him. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t already thought of offering him my seat, so I got up and asked him to sit in my place, but he refused politely, “No thank you, I have to stand to feed her.”

What made this young boy so different? Why wasn’t he cruising around with his friends, or skateboarding down the middle of Down Town Disney like the other teenagers his age? What held him there, unselfishly giving to someone who couldn’t give anything in return?
The unselfishness and compassion of this young man to care for his handicapped friend touched me so deeply I quickly grabbed for my sunglasses to hide the tears streaming down my face. What about me? Would I be willing to do the same? Could I give unselfishly, expecting nothing in return? Not just today but everyday. Not just for a pat on the back or recognition, but when it’s unappreciated. Not just when others are watching, but when no one notices at all.


Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Reflection
Every day we are given opportunities, to help someone who cannot return the favor.  Not for recognition, or even a thank you, just because. Often I have had to ask God to forgive me for the motives behind my serve. To keep my heart pure and my mouth quieted from complaining. It’s easy to turn serving into a duty with the wrong attitude. Look for an opportunity to serve this week, it will be there. Just open your eyes and notice the need and then reach out and do something for someone without expecting anything in return.

My Prayer
Lord,
I am selfish, self-seeking, and lack compassion.  Please forgive me. I am blessed beyond measure by your goodness, yet I continue to serve myself more than I serve others. Open my eyes to see opportunities to help others. Give me a heart of compassion to serve not for public recognition or reward, but because you have already given me so much! May my life be more about You and less about Me.

I Love you Lord,
Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment