Thursday, February 17, 2011

Way Over Dressed!

Joyce Meyer: "If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are way overdressed!

I was standing in line at the bank Monday in a little bit of a hurry, but I only had three people in front of me so I didn’t expect to be long. The entrance door to the bank was behind me so unless I turned around I couldn’t see anyone enter. I was minding my own business thinking about the next stop I had to make when my thoughts were interrupted by a woman’s voice. She spoke loud enough for everyone in the bank lobby to hear, (I am paraphrasing but trying to keep it close) “I have never seen so many handicap parking spaces in front of one building in all my life and not one of them is filled. I had to park my Lexus in the next parking lot 30 spaces from the door and walk. Why do they have 4 parking spaces allotted to handicaps? They should exchange one handicap spot out there for people with money and call it VIP parking! Goodness.”

Right then I knew I had already heard enough of this lady. The facial expression from the others around me led me to believe they had too. The tellers were all distracted by her arrogant remarks, as they rolled their eyes at one another and whispered behind the bulletproof glass. It was about to get better.

I turned around along with everyone else, to see who could be the owner of such hideous remarks. To my disappointment I knew her! (I don’t mean we were friends but a casual acquaintance with a mutual friend.) I quickly turned back so she couldn't make eye contact. I was afraid she would notice me and I didn’t want any of these people to think I was in any way associated with her.

By then she had made her way to the back of the line still complaining all the while. She griped about the wait in line and commented to her friend that there should be more employees working especially during the lunch hour when most people visited the bank. About that time one of the tellers walked through the lobby with her lunch tote in hand headed to the entrance door, obviously headed for lunch break, leaving only two tellers working. Of course most of us in line were disappointed she was leaving, which is usually the case when you’ve been waiting for a while, but hey, we understood she deserved a lunch break and we were letting the woman leave in peace. Until…

”Ms. Thang” behind me caught a glimpse of her exiting and objected!

“Excuse me,” she directed the comment to the teller heading out the door. “And where do you think your going? I hope you aren’t considering leaving for lunch break when you have a line of nine people waiting for your assistance.”

I was mortified; I could not believe this woman. Who was she trying to impress? What was she trying to prove?

I couldn’t imagine the scene getting any worse and by now everyone in the entire branch was looking at her. The young teller without hesitation opened the bank door and out she went, never even acknowledging the woman. The “friend” who accompanied this arrogant woman, now decided to get involved and she blurted out, “Where’s the manager? Is this the kind of respect you get here at your bank? Can’t these small town people recognize money when they see it?” (We heard more laughing and cackling from the two of them.)

Every second I stood there I was more embarrassed for her because I knew that once I turned around and she recognized me, she would feel horrible that I observed her obnoxious behavior and cruel words. But it was inevitable. I finished my transaction and turned to leave when the teller said, “Thank you Mrs. Herrin have a nice afternoon.” I responded back, “you do the same” and about that time my eyes looked up and caught the women’s eyes. She put on a big smile and spoke instantly, “Well hey there girl, how are you doing?”

I mustered up a “Good, thanks!” but was determined to keep walking out the door and before I could, she was already making conversation, “Isn’t this crazy?”  she motioned towards the line with her hand, “Poor customer service is what you call it. They’ll be sorry when I pull my money out of this bank.” I really had no comment for her, instead I wished I had a sign with the word "RUDE" on it,  that I could have pulled out of my purse.

I was again disappointed that now she really felt no remorse or embarrassment and I knew in my heart I wasn’t about to encourage her negativity so I didn’t even acknowledge her question and instead replied, “Hope your day gets better” and out the door I went.

I am convinced there are some people in this world who really think, “It’s All About Them!” They don’t play by the rules we learned in kindergarten to: share, tell the truth, speak kindly, and play nice. They value people based upon how much money is in their bank account and voice their opinions on any matter regardless of how it might make someone feel. They are arrogant, vain, and prideful and without the grace of God to intervene, they will bring destruction upon themselves.

Proverbs 16:18, Proverbs 8:13, Proverbs 11:2, I Samuel 2:3, Isaiah 2:11


I'm not sure if the "arrogant woman" will read my blog or even knows I have one. But if she stumbles upon it she will certainly recognize herself. When she does, I pray she will also recognize that she is way "OVERDRESSED"! 

Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment